what do you think you have lost in your childhood....

One of my favorite teenagers right now is a Syrian Refugee who is 15. She is strong, helpful, loves makeup and fashion and dressing up. She loves children and babies and helping people.

  I love taking her with me to help in the clinics, she is so very helpful and she loves to get out of the house every now and then.

 













We were driving the other day, the sun was shining and music was softly playing. I asked her what she things has been lost from her childhood here in Lebanon...because of the war.

  her answer came quickly, no hesitation.  She is so aware that she has lost her home, her country, her friends, her memories, and her childhood.

   " In Syria, we were so happy. I helped my mom in the house and kitchen but not like this. I went to school,  was learning new things and with my friends. When I came home i would eat and then spend time studying. But here. Everything is different. I don't get to go to school, for a long I had to work in the fields. I feel like I work from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to sleep. I do everything for everybody and don't even get one moment to myself. I told my Father recently that I am going to find a school. I mean that is my right- don't you think? to learn and to study and grow.."

  she started softly crying...

 "I used to come home and study and then get to go visit my cousins, friends or Aunts. I was free to come and go and have friendship. Here I am not able to leave my home without people talking about me. I don't have friends or cousins around. All the things that made life enjoyable are gone. It is just so much work and I am so tired."

 My head was spinning with thoughts of how much loss there has been. I mean sure there are more traumatic stories, on the spectrum being in a loving family and alive is pretty great. But also so aware that she has been placed in a life that she ( or her family) would have never chosen. So much laughter, weddings, getting ready and giggling, secrets and affirmation, drawing, reading and learning that are lost...gone.

   And how she chooses to spend her time - she loves to help people. She just loves it. For a teenager who wakes up to work, cook, clean, lives her whole life to help others... she still comes with me and helps other refugees. The self sacrifice is so strong, I can't quite can wrap my head around it...

 





Comments

Popular Posts