that moment...

Layla was old enough to move forward into a the 6-10 year old gymnastic class and she was so eager to.



 Taking into account her physical ambition ( which is pretty low ) and her high social needs, I kept encouraging her to stay in the class with Sophia and Elijah. But she was insistent.

So what could i do.

Right before her first class, she ran up to me and whispered in my ear that she was scared. I told her i totally understood but knew that she could do it. I would be watching through the windows, there to support her.

 She smiled and walked off without turning back.

 Then the coaches gathered all the kids and told them to all start doing cartwheels.

ahem. the skill that Layla has not mastered at all.

 I saw her eyes get real wide and she looked at me. I smiled at her. She took a deep breath and tried to do a cart wheel. It was awful. She got up, took another breath and tried another. About the 5th attempt she got really close to a full cart wheel and she bounced up and was beaming.



 I was holding back mama tears because I was so proud of her for pushing through. The whole class felt like this- her attempting the newer, more difficult moves, and after lots of attempts finally making progress.



 Something so sweet about  watching her grow in resilience. Perservering in the face of something hard, until she sees some change. She has had that same attitude with Arabic and it has been so so encouraging to watch her fail and make mistakes but keep trying and getting better and better.

Comments

Popular Posts