Growing old, but i am with you

With our huge winter storm pelting down on our shores and mountains, hills and streets we hunkered down and drank lots of tea. 

   But what it really meant is that there would be enough snow on the mountain for us to ski in the future.

 So just barely mentioning this notion to Cathleen – and our organized friend activated this plan and we were heading up the mountain before we even knew it.

 Of course getting out the door and thinking through the details of our 3 littles day: food, bottles, change of clothes and routines... was no small feat. So we stopped for a nice steaming cup of dunkin donut coffee as a celebration for.getting.out.the.door.

 We had a seamless trip up the road and before we knew it we were fitting for skis and arrived at the slopes a little before 9 am.

 I always remember my heart beating super fast the first line as you wait for the lift as you subject yourself to being near other skiers and then of course the exiting…but it all came back fairly naturally.





   The setting was ideal. The sun was bright, the air crisp it was not cold or hot- perfect. We road the lift up and were overwhelmed with the beauty and majesty of the mountains.

 When we arrived up top, we could see the Mediterranean sea in the distance. It was  bright and glorious the views we could take in.

 And as Drew shot off down the slope, and I willed my legs to make sense of the strange planks of wood below…I felt old.

 I don’t remember him being so much faster than me, or so much better. I remember being able to keep up with him on most runs. But not this day.

 Trying to hide my embarrassment I questioned the conditions, the lumpy ice balls. No matter that he had skied down effortlessly enough.

  We pushed forward, Him waiting for me ½ way down most runs and so sweet and calm and not.annoyed.at.all.

 We laughed and chatted and experienced and speculated our way up the lifts and then skied down at different paces.



 And I am sorry that I am so slow ( what happened?!) but so thankful for my cheerful, thought provoking, inspiring, question asking husband. That we steal away for a whole day and it is rich with theological conversation, silly conversation we have had with our kids, reflections about the majesty of nature, and laughing at Lebanese around us and their fun loving spirits.

 I am growing old (sway) but I have the best one in the world next to me. Greeting me with a grin as I weave my way down the mountain or as we put kids down for bed. Love the man I glance across the dinner table at, or eating at a local favorite potato restaurant with.




a pot of  hot tea and potatoes baked in a raging fire in the middle of the restaurant? perfect end to a day on the slopes. 


Comments

Popular Posts