Why Anne would be proud:



    recently I felt this inertia to watch Anne of Green Gables …and so I waited for my first opportunity of space and indulged.


     I forget how much I love the nature, the dialogues, the ramblings, the music, the characters. They have become so familiar it is like sitting down with family, but I fall in love all over again.

    This is the first time I have re-visited Anne as a mama- and I cried more times in this movie than I ever have. ( pregnancy hormones!) So many scenes where I am so touched by seeing this orphan find love.

  Sophia, my 2 year old, has been emerging in full colors. She is adorably cuddly.


 She sings all the time. She hugs and kisses me and says “tank you mama” 10 times after I give her anything- juice, food, treat, a movie. She is my shadow at all times.

  But man does this little one have a temper. It surprises me again and again. So many moments where I think to myself “ hm. What to do in this moment”.  Like when she threw a fit because I told her no more fries if she does not eat a bite of chicken. She jumped off the bench and ran straight for the rails on the Cornish that are on a cliff over the sea.  Sprinting after her, I grab hold, but I have no idea what she was going to do. Sigh.

  Or when she looks around with this mischievous pout trying to figure out what to destroy to make her point of defiance when I have said “no”. watch out world. Or restaurants. Or strangers nearby she might hit. Sigh.






  But watching Anne renewed some vision in some weary places in my heart. Anne had a temper, and got into so many scrapes. But that is why the world loves her. Her life was full of color. Of apologies and drama, and laughing and tears. Of course the mama feels overwhelmed and the pressure of raising a loving and kind daughter- of which I KNOW Sophia is…but the temper…it is part of her fire.



   So I am trying to embrace the little tooter and keep my sense of humor in the middle of the temper tantrums. Reminding myself that raising daughters is an adventure, that every day is different. That I will never have the same situation twice- cause naps, attitudes, developments, and so on change daily.

   I was holding Sophia tight last night and tredging through some very slippery mud. The wind was whipping at our heads, and she would not let me put her hood on, “ I don lie it”.  I felt the moment of “ooff this is hard carrying a 30 pound baby through mud” emotion but heard Drew say to me as he carried a 45 pound sleeping babe- “ what an adventure!” and then I started picturing both of us slipping and falling in the mud with our girls and started giggling.  We made it through, I was panting ( not gonna lie) my shoes and pants were covered…but we had not fallen down. “


 And I got a “ tank you mama”




Comments

Popular Posts