Date reflections...

Layla. so conversational and silly, fun and imaginative. We were having some bad mojo, so the idea popped into my head that we needed a date.

We needed alone time, space and time to connect.

 As soon as I mentioned it, you shifted. You went to bed talking about, woke up thinking about it, and behaved perfectly because you were so ready and excited. I loved every second. You dressed yourself and wanted a bow to look fancy, although we could not find one.



 We drove on empty streets and engaging your chatter with no other thing ( or people) to pull on me. SO many things going on inside of that head of yours, sweet girl. I love hearing about friends, school, explaining what politics mean, Syrians, war and the power of the tongue. You want to discuss and hear my point of view. You want my input and love when I explain things to you. I love our connection. We could have spent hours together talking.

 You were so so so happy to be at Starbucks. You kept saying how "old you felt" and how this was "star buck" that we talk about it.  I decided to go for it- both of us getting a treat and a drink and i am so glad i did. It made the date feel lavish and so fun.



 Later coming home, I took Sophia to her place of choice- Donut or Ice cream. She chose Ice cream. So we went to Burger King and to see the build up and excitement was also so...humbling. For my girls to want so very badly to spend one-on-one time with me is amazing. I want to remember that feeling forever. As soon as we got home from Zahle, Sophia ran upstairs to finish homework. Undeterred from pleas from sisters and friends to play. She had a date with mama, by golly.



 Sophia's words are so few. She is just so happy to sit next to me. To hold my hand. I ask lots of questions and try and keep conversation going, but she is most happy to be together. So i sink into that. Half way through the ice cream, she asks to move from across the table to next to me. So we sit together in a booth, cuddles close and she is so happy. I am just telling her how much i love her and how I love spending time with her. and how special she is to me.



  After awhile, playground absolutely milling with kids, she says we should go over to the playground. I told her that it looked pretty crowded and not very fun. She agreed. I asked her if she wanted to go home and color me some pictures, and still get some time together. So we sequestered ourselves in my room and she grabbed her art box and colored me pictures. She wanted me to sit on the bed, and be surprised for the picture in the end. Oh sweet, creative, loving Sophia, I will sit here all day and you create...i love space and time with you.

  

Comments

Popular Posts